Rajasthan’s history and culture
Start with the Social science / history textbooks of Rajasthan State education board. You can freely download them fromhttp://rajeduboard.rajasthan.gov.in/books/index.htm
If you look at the syllabus of history in Rajasthan University, Jaipur:
- BA History part 1=> paper 2 is about all History of Rajasthan (from Ancient to 1956).
- MA History paper 5: Main trends in History and Culture of Rajasthan
And as long as there are BA/MA history courses in Government colleges, there will be readymade guidebooks/digests for the individual papers, right?
So I suggest you visit the bookstores dealing with college books, and inquire for the guidebooks for above papers- that should serve as your ‘base’ material.
Since RAS got hundreds of vacancies this time, the unscrupulous elements will recycle the same content from such BA/MA books and sell it as ‘study-material’ for Rs.2000/5000/7000 rupees depending on your desperation. So apply your head, always stick to standard reference books- they’re cheaper and more reliable for competitive exams.
- Visit the sitemap of Rajasthan Government’s tourism website. All these topics are covered in detail. (http://www.rajasthantourism.gov.in/Home/SiteMap.aspx)
- You’ll also find scattered information in NIOS’s culture course, NCERTs, plus in Rajasthan state education board’s textbooks.
Here is the list of syllabus topics that you need to prepare:
- Salient features of Architecture – Forts and Monuments
- Arts, Paintings and Handicrafts.
- Fairs, Festivals, Folk Music and Folk Dances.
- Rajsathani Culture, Traditions and Heritage.
- Important Tourist Places.
- Major Landmarks in the History of Rajasthan, Major Dynasties, their Administrative and Revenue System. Socio-cultural Issues.
- Freedom Movement , Political Awakening and Integration
- Religious Movements, Saints& Lok devtas of Rajasthan.
- Leading Personalities of Rajasthan.
- Important Works of Rajasthani literature. Local Dilects
Indian History n Culture
This topic can be subdivided into
||Harappa, Vedic age etc.
||Delhi Sultanate, Mughal dynasty etc.
||British Raj, freedom struggle etc.
||Jainism, buddism, culture, literature, panting, dance, music etc.
- If you look at the old papers of RAS, the Indian history related MCQs are mostly “General knowledge” type.
- For example who defeated whom and when?
- So, in that regard NCERTs (under new syllabus) won’t be of much help. Because they don’t dwell much into such GK. (Although there is no harm in reading them, but on has to consider the time constrain).
- Besides, you’ve to Rajasthan state education board’s textbooks for social science /history for preparing Rajasthan’s history and culture anyways. And even in those Rajasthan state board textbook, India’s history will be covered. If you need additional reference, consult General studies manual, otherwise just leave it there.
- for Indian culture, use NIOS course material.
- For modern history, go for “A brief History of Modern India” by spectrum publication. It’ll also help for the mains as well. same book available in Hindi medium under title “Adhunik Bharat Ka Etihas, Spectrum”
- Bipin Chandra is also good, if you’ve the time and mood.
|As per upsc syllabus
||As per RAS syllabus
- World Geography
- Indian Geography
- Geography of Rajasthan
|Broad Physical features
||NCERT Class 6: chapter 2 to 6
NCERT Class 11: 3 to 7
|Environmental and Ecological Issues.
||Separate strategy given under the heading “Environment and Biodiversity”.
||NCERT Class 11, Chapter 13 and 14.
Class 12 (Fundamentals of Human Geography) Chapter 8.
|Major Industrial Regions
||Class 12 (Fundamentals of Human Geography) Chapter 6.
- Broad physical features and Major physiographic divisions.
|NCERT Class 6, Ch.7
NCERT Class 9, Ch.1, 2 and 4
NCERT Class 11, Ch.1, 2
- Agriculture and Agro based Activities.
|For this, you should refer following chapters from NCERT Geography and Science textbooks.
- NCERT Geography Class 8 Ch.4
- NCERT Geography Class 10 Ch.4
- NCERT Geography Class 11 Ch.6
- NCERT Geography Class 12 (Funda. in Human geography) ch.5
- NCERT Geography Class 12 (India people & Economy) ch.5
- NCERT Science Class 7, ch.3 and 9
- NCERT Science Class 8, ch.1
- NCERT Science Class 9, ch.15
- Minerals – Iron, Manganese, Coal, Oil & Gas, Atomic minerals.
- NCERT Geography Class 10, ch.5
- NCERT Geography Class 12 (India people & Economy) ch.7
- Major Industries and Industrial development.
|NCERT Class 10 ch. 6 and 8
- Transportation– major transport corridors.
|NCERT Class 10 Ch.7
NCERT Class 12 (India people & Economy) Ch.10
- Natural Resources.
|NCERT Class 10 Ch.1
- Environmental Problems and Ecological Issues.
|Separate strategy given under the heading “Environment and Biodiversity”.
Geography of Rajasthan
- In the NCERTs chapters under “Indian geography”, you’ll find scattered information about Rajasthan. Note it down separately.
- India Yearbook: refer to chapter 30: State and union territories =>Rajasthan. You’ll find overview of Rajasthan’s geography, irrigation etc. But for MCQs, that information alone will not suffice.
- Therefore, Use Rajasthan State education board textbooks (preferably from Class 7 to 12) related to Social science and geography subjects and prepare the following topics.
- Broad physical features and Major physiographic divisions.
- Natural Resource of Rajasthan-
- Climate, Natural Vegetation, Forests, Wildlife and Bio-diversity
- Major irrigation projects.
- Mines and Minerals.
- Major Industries and Potential for Industrial Development.
Additional preparation for Rajasthan geography:
Environment and Biodiversity (EnB)
- Unlike UPSC, the RAS doesn’t contain separate topic of Environment and Biodiversity, but it is listed as a sub-topic, under World, Indian and Rajasthan’s geography.
- However, it should be separately prepared because
- Even in RAS-prelims-2012, there were quite a few questions from Rajasthan related environment related topics.
- it comes again in the mains syllabus and in past mains exams, they’ve asked direct questions such as Explain environmental benefits of organic farming, Explain Eutrophication and so on.
- The foundation material for Environment biodiversity is NIOS (National institute for open schooling.)
- Also refer to following chapters of NCERT textbooks.
|NCERT Geography textbooks
||NCERT Other subject Textbooks
- Geography Class6 Ch8
- Geography Class7 Ch1 to 6
- Geography Class8 Ch 2 and 5
- Geography Class9 Ch5
- Geography Class10 Ch2
- Geography Class11 Ch4 and 5
- Geography Class11 Ch 15 and 16
- Science Class7 Ch7, 16,17 and 18
- Science Class8 Ch7 and 18
- Science Class9 Ch14
- Science Class10 Ch. 14 to 16
- Biology Class12, Ch. 13 to 16
- Chemistry class11, Ch.14
- Economy Class11, Ch.9
Additionally prepare the objective/targets/salient features of following policies:
For let me list the unconventional topics from the RAS syllabus (free downloads @bottom)
- Tools and Uses in Administration
- NIOS Accountancy, chapter 1 to 3
- IGNOU BA Public Administration chapter on Accountancy in government.
||IGNOU MA Public Administration chapter on E-commerce.
Now coming to the conventional topics of economy: For RAS prelims, Economy is subdivided into three parts
- Basic concepts
- Indian Economy
- Rajasthan’s Economy
For topic #1 and #2, the sources are
- NCERT Class 11, 12 (free download links @bottom).
- Indian Economy by Ramesh Singh (TMH Publication). Same Book in Hindi under title “Bhartiya Arthvyavastha, Ramesh Singh”
- newspaper, magazines.
Economy of Rajasthan
For this, primary reference sources are
- Budget speech of CM
- Rajasthan’s Five year plan documents.
Additionally prepare the salient features of following:
- Rajasthan Industrial and Investment Policy
- Policy for the Registration and Protection of Geographical Indications of Goods in Rajasthan
- Rajasthan’s Mineral Development policy
While you read these topics, do make notes because same content is repeated in the syllabus of GS (Mains) paper 1 and 3.
||How to prepare?
|Macro overview of Economy.
||Goto Rajasthan Government ‘s finance department website and Read following PDFs from Budget 2013-14:
- Budget at a glance
- Budget speech of CM
Also Chapter 1 of Rajasthan state five year plan.
|Major Agricultural, Industrial and Service Sector Issues.
||Chapter 10,11 and 15-18 of Rajasthan’s Five year plan.
|Growth, Development and Planning.
||Chapter 2,3 and 4 of Rajasthan state five year plan.
|Infrastructure & Resources.
||10, 16, 17, 18
|Major Development Projects.
||Chapter 7 and 8 of Rajasthan state five year plan.
|Programmes and Schemes-
- this topic also re-appears in GS Mains paper 3 under the title “Current sensitive issues”.
- This includes Government Welfare Schemes for SC/ST/Backward Class/Minorities/Disabled Persons, Destitute, Women, Children, Old Age People, Farmers & Labourers.
- Refer to chapter 14, 20-28 of Rajasthan state five year plan, and prepare micro-notes or mindmaps containing following details about every scheme: 1)which department/ministry implements it? 2) who is the target beneficiary 3) salient features/benefits offered.